Best Books For CAT 2021 Preparation
"PRACTICE DOES NOT MAKE A MAN PERFECT. ONLY PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT"
CAT 2021 is a dream for many students. But dreams come true when we work towards achieving them. A CAT aspirant shall always set goals and make plans to execute them. The goals must be set in accordance with the syllabus and the exam pattern. However, a CAT aspirant needs to have some practice materials and books for preparation. These books and study materials should be selected with utmost concern.
CAT 2021 would be having 3 sections that are, Quantitative aptitude, Verbal ability, and reading comprehension and Data interpretation, and logical reasoning.
These sections are to be prepared separately and the fundamentals shall be clear with the students. The student should devote an ample amount of time to learning the concepts and practicing them.
Some of the books that would be very helpful while a CAT aspirant is preparing for the exam are mentioned section-wise below.
Quantitative aptitude is the one that needs maximum practice and time. This section cannot be prepared well if the basics are not clear to the student.
In order to have a stronger hold at the concepts the student can go with these books:
- A new M.S.L.C Arithmetic by Pitamber Lal and Tej Ram (This book will help in clearing all arithmetic concepts such as Percentage, Averages, Mixtures, and Ratios.)
- Elementary Algebra by Hall Knight (This book is very good and will clear all your concepts for algebra. The practice exercises in this book are really good and worth doing.)
- 9th and 10th Grade NCERT Textbook (This book will clear all your geometry concepts as there are plenty of theorems and examples in these two books.
After having a good hold with the concepts, the students need to go to a higher level and practice tricky questions. For this purpose, the recommended books are:
- Quantitative aptitude by Nishit K. Sinha.
- Trishna’s quantitative aptitude.
- Questions from the past 30 years CAT exam.
These study materials would be enough for a student to get well prepared for the quantitative aptitude section.
DATA INTERPRETATION AND LOGICAL REASONING
This section is supposedly the most scoring part of the exam. The exam candidate needs to analyse the question very carefully. All you need is practice. There are only a few topics where one needs to get their fundamentals strong. The books that will be helpful are:
- Logical reasoning and Data Interpretation for CAT by Nishit K. Sinha.
- How to prepare for Data Interpretation for CAT by Arun Sharma.
This section requires more practice. The students shall practice as many questions as they can. Questions from the previous year's question papers of the last 30 years are also a crucial part of a student’s preparation.
VERBAL ABILITY AND READING COMPREHENSION
This section requires a different way of learning. This section tests the English language skills of the candidate. Books that would be very much helpful while preparing for this section would be:
- Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis (This book is recommended to be the best while preparing for verbal ability. This book improves your grammar as well as verbal reasoning).
- How To Prepare for the Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension CAT. (This book is good for practicing mock tests and also has interesting tips for CAT candidates.)
These two books will contribute towards achieving a good score in the VARC section.
All the books recommended will prove to be very helpful while preparing for CAT 2021, but the main thing to remember is that ‘Practice is the key’.
Previous year's question papers are very important and will contribute towards achieving a better score in the examination.